Thursday, June 17, 2010

Pop culture in nonfiction picture books

Marc Aronson at the School Library Journal blog Nonfiction Matters kindly posted a guest entry from me. An excerpt:

Once upon a generation ago, it seemed that the nonfiction picture book was reserved mostly for “textbook” names and events: Martin Luther King, Jr., the Titanic, any president, any war. Today, however, many nonfiction picture books are about pop culture, “pop” being the operative word. These books indeed pop off the shelf. Kids simply don’t expect to see such high-interest subjects featured in that kind of book.
Had space permitted, I would've had something to say about many other pop culture nonfiction picture books in addition the four I did fit. Eventually, I'm sure, I'll say those things here!

Here are those four:





No comments: